Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Going Cyborg... potentially...

Today has been one big whirlwind of a day... wake up slightly high thanks to a "high pressure bloackage" in my tubing. That was a pain this morning, let me tell you. I wake up around 3am-ish to a beeping and vibrating pump. Half asleep I'm asking it "whats wrong with you now, a nightmare?"... yes, it was a nightmare, not for my pump but for me. Apparently the pump was beeping and vibrating for 2 hours, it took me 2 hours to notice the beeps and vibrations! When my pump is free roaming in the bed with me it gets tangled up in the thick blankets, which ends up muffling all alerts. This morning was one of them. I get up to go grab the shopping list of supplies (tubing, site, battery, i.v. prep I use to make the sites stick, test strips, meter, poker, juice box) and get back into bed where its nice and warm. I check my blood sugar- 260. Well isn't that a bummer! So I change the tubing and the pump is happy again so I do a correction bolus and go back to sleep knowing that I'll be exhausted in the morning due to the interupted sleep.

I was still high when I got up 2 hours later so I bolus again, jump in the shower, spam tudiabetes.com and head off to work. All day my blood sugars have behaved themselves, which made me the happiest girl in the world. I even ate luch without bolusing and I was still "normal" afterwards. That reminds me, I have to call the doctors on thursday to get my basals adjusted- I am eating and testing all day to keep myself from going low.

I call my mom to chit chat after work while on the way to the gym when she tells me that some California company called me with info about a Navigator. She then goes on to tell me that my dad answered the call and told them I wasn't interested in buying a Navigator at this time. I freak out and was like "omg omg omg nooooooooooooo" and my mom is a little puzzled. I go on to explain that the Navigator is my continuous blood glucose monitor I've been waiting to hear about, not the car! So I go home instead of the gym and call the Abbott company back. they inform me that I'm missing page 2 of the patient questionaire and the patient release form. All giddy beyond giddy, I print those suckers out, fill them out (btw, I think her name was Helen- she walked me through filling it out and was so nice and understanding... I'm liking the company already!) and I fax them asap. On the way to the gym I call them back to confirm they received the forms, which they did. I'm waaaaaay excited... I think I'll be going cyborg...

All my gadgets will include (if you can picture this):
pump on one side, CGM on the other side, ipod in my pocket and ears, cell phone on the other ear, Nike+ ipod thing in my shoes... I'm almost completely cyborg!

Most people would be kinda concerned that my life is controlled by so much technology but I have no doubts. Being diabetic in the age of technological advances is really exciting and I've become a great troubleshooter when it comes to ALL electronic devices, whether they are hooked up to me or I use them at work, or in my car, etc.

I really can't wait to start using the Navigator and experiencing all of its flaws (if any) and working with it to solve all the problems (once again, if any).

No comments: